There are ten bells at St. Johns.
The team of bell ringers here are an all-age friendly and welcoming team. They range from absolute beginners to more experienced peal and quarter-peal ringers. They practice on Thursday evenings from 7.30 pm and also ring for weddings. They meet at 10.a.m. to ring for 45 minutes before the 10.45 a.m. Sunday service. Outings are arranged to other towers during the year.
The tower dates from the 13th Century, and was finished off in the late 14th Century, the delay being caused by the Black Death. The bells are mentioned as a ring of eight in the 1804 Rudhall catalogue, and were augmented in 1816. They were rehung by Eayre & Smith in 1983-4 in a new metal frame. The bells go fairly well, but some (notably the 7th) are very odd-struck. The tenor was the only bell weighed by Avery’s while the bells were rehung, to provide the solution to the "Guess the weight of the tenor" fund-raising competition and it weighs in at 17cwt-1qu-17lbs.
A narrow drive leads up to the church from the east end, and there is some parking at the base of the tower on weekdays, or for disabled only on Sundays. The door to the tower is inside the large west entrance, and on the right. The 50 steps to the ringing room are refurbished, but are somewhat uneven in height, so care needs to be taken when climbing up or down.
(Information derived from David Bagley <www.ringing.demon.co.uk/towers/worcs.htm>.)
The ringing room has been recently redecorated and looks very smart with a purple carpet!